Saturday, October 31, 2009

Panama: Rincon Suizo

Rincon Suizo Restaurant

Whenever I feel like a really good meal in Panama, without pretension or having to worry about making a reservation, I turn to Rincon Suizo. Rincon Suizo is definitely one of Panama's truly great restaurants. Their menu is an interesting mix of Swiss, German and Austrian food, all made either classically, or with an infusion of local Panamanian ingredients. Rincon Suizo is not a cheap place to dine, but when considering value for money, I think that Rincon Suizo is hard to beat.

Rincon Suizo Menu

Last night, at Rincon Suizo, I decided to go to Rincon Suizo. I hadn't been in a long time, probably about one year, so I was really excited. My boyfriend and I shared the Camembert Au Gratin, a whole Camembert cheese served with a Passion Fruit and Green Peppercorn sauce. It was an interesting appetizer, the cheese was absolutely divine and the sauce sweet, but not too sweet. For a main course, I chose the Filet San Moritz, a delicious fillet steak, served with a creamy mushroom sauce with some melted cheese on top. It looks somewhat like a heart attack on a plate, but is absolutely delicious, with none of the strong flavours outdoing the others. I chose to accompany my steak with a Rosti potato, one of my all-time favourite side dishes, and one that is not often found in Panama. I could have chosen French Fries, mashed potato, vegetables or rice. My boyfriend went for the Tenderloin Trios, an attractive dish of three tenderloins with a selection of sauces: a Morel mushroom sauce, a Green Peppercorn sauce and a Cafe Paris herb butter sauce. All in all, it was delicious. For dessert, we shared a German-style Apple Strudel served with Vanilla ice cream and I ordered an Irish Coffee, another of my favourite things in the world.

Rincon Suizo Wine


Apart from the spectacular food menu, if you're a wine buff, then you will love Rincon Suizo. With the most extensive wine menu of any restaurant in Panama, Rincon Suizo has a vast selection of wines ranging from the reasonably priced Little Penguin Australian Merlot which was my choice last night (an excellent tipple, I might add), to some outrageously priced French reds at some USD $2,000 per bottle and up. I personally have a serious issue with spending thousands of dollars on a bottle of wine, and prefer to go with several 20-dollar bottles. It just seems to make more sense to me.

If you're in Panama, looking for a dinner that will leave you smiling with joy for at least 24 hours after the fact, then Rincon Suizo is for you!

Rincon Suizo is located in El Cangrejo on Calle Eusebio A Morales. Visit their website for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment